Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Need advise on some TJ issues.

Go down 
+2
connordanny
Chris Taylor
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Need advise on some TJ issues. Empty
PostSubject: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Took my 99 TJ to Adams Jeep to have them look at some of the issues I have been having with it. Here is the list of things they gave me.
1 New control arms all around upper and lower. It already has Rusty's front lower control arms, and adjustable rear arms, superlift rear lower control arms. One person tells me that I just need new bushings and the other tells me replace the whole thing. I know it is probably easier to replace the whole arm but the bushings are much cheaper. How do I tell if the arm is bad? I can replace the bushings if that is all it needs.
2 New shocks. Ok it has been used hard I can go for that.
3 New adjustable rear track bar. It is the stock bar that has been relocated, what would the symptoms be if it needs replaced?
4 Tires. No shit I knew that.
5 hub blown on the Passenger side rear. Nester where is the best place to get these? It is the same setup that you have.

They wanted around $2100 to do it all. No way I can do this stuff myself.

I am considering a new 06 though. They have 30 more coming in and it is 0% interest for 72 months on the 06 models......

Thanks in advance.

PS Anyone that could look at it for me and is in the N Baltimore / Harford county area and has a little time to advise let me know I would much appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 6:24 pm

I think new tires and a fixed hub and you would be in great shape for the trails. That kind of explains why that rear drivers tire didn't spin at all last time out at Paragon.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 8:36 pm

buy the 06 but keep the 99 for the trails. Then you will have the time you need to do all the work yourself. I have a hard time with the fact that both those hubs are bad. if control arms are not bent. New bushing should fix them. But I work on CJ's not TJ's. One day I have a TJ and I know more about them.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 8:44 pm

Yeah having both would be great but... just bought the wife a new car three weeks ago and don't have down payment $$ with out selling the 99. Right now I am inclined to fix the 99 but ya never know.
I replaced the drivers hub and now that works, and the passenger is not right. I still think it could be in the locker but I removed it last weekend and could not find anything wrong. Is there a way to test this setup? I just don't know enough about it. Giotta get to reading I guess. Luckly we did not trade in my wifes old car so I have something to drive until I get it figured out.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 8:56 pm

take off the cover and put the rear up on jack stand. Then you can turn everything buy hand and see what is happing. when you turn the driveshaft both wheels sure turn. unlock one hub and this wheel should not turn. with both hubs lock put a bock of wood under one tire and you should turn the other tire and whatch the locker rachet it will click.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 10:47 pm

If you want to we can put it on the lift and show you if the bushing's are bad. The only reason to replace a control arm is if it is bent.

I can have my guys check the hub for you too.

Im in White Marsh and I work this Saturday if you want to bring it down.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeWed Mar 21, 2007 11:49 pm

Give me a call 443 790 9917 is my cell. I work in white marsh. I can definitly stop by on Sat. Where is White Marsch are you?
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 3:30 pm

Chris,
Lets move it to 10 am on sat. The guy I prefer to look at it comes in at 10.

Thanks
Matt

Call me if thats a problem...
Back to top Go down
MaxRox
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
MaxRox

Female
Number of posts : 137

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 4:02 pm

Now that you have the real advice you need. Let me add this...DO NOT LET ADAMS DO ANY WORK ON YOUR JEEP. You will just have to do it all over again another time. They Suck! asdyuysigidfdjbisd
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 4:24 pm

Some one else told me the same thing today.

Thanks Matt 10A is fine. See ya then. I did not save your #, if you get a chance can you send it to me in a PM

Thanks
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeThu Mar 22, 2007 7:02 pm

Sorry my cell is 410 935 6011 and the store number is 410 931 5595.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 1:15 pm

Thanks for looking at it today Matt, now off you find control arms.....
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 24, 2007 1:21 pm

Check around online before buying anything. Jeepsunlimited has a post where a guy is selling a set of RE's. You can usually find a good deal. There are always alot of them on pirate 4x4.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeSat Mar 31, 2007 9:22 pm

Got new bushings and 2 new arms should be here this week, and I am going to take the locker apart again, so I should be ready by the 14th. I'll let ya know how it goes.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2007 7:46 pm

Hey chris if you need a set of hubs for the rear you can call warn directy or you can call Quadratec or 4WD hardware and they normally stock them. They are like 150 for a set.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2007 10:38 pm

Thanks. I don't think it is the hubs though. I still need to get another set though for more backup. I just bought a new locker so when I take it apart if something is bad I can just replace it while it is open. I hope to get one for the front soon also.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2007 5:55 pm

I now have all the projests that I wanted before this weekend done, and still have a whole day left. I may need to start another one.

New control arms, u-joints, and relaced the locker. I know not a big list but with the limited time I have had still good.

See ya all Sat night or Sunday Morning.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Need advise on some TJ issues.   Need advise on some TJ issues. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Need advise on some TJ issues.
Page 1 of 1