Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

5.3 wont start sometimes

Go down 
+2
md4wheelin
connordanny
6 posters
AuthorMessage
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male
Number of posts : 695
Registration date : 2007-01-19

5.3 wont start sometimes Empty
PostSubject: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 10:22 pm

Had a strange thing happen this week on the Silverado and wanted to see if anyone can point me in the right direction. I drove out to Pittsburgh on Tuesday and at a rest stop on the Turnpike the truck would crank, but not turn over. It was cranking strong and I had 12v on the battery meter on the dash, 3/4 tank of gas (filled up in Breezewood) and it had run smooth the whole way up. I tried it off and on for about 20 minutes and then it finally turned over and ran fine the rest of the trip. It started every time yesterday and most of today until tonight when it did the same thing again - it would crank strong, but not turn over. I waited 20 mins, came back out and it fired right up. The check eng light never came on, air filter is pretty clean, engine never ran rough, temp was normal. Are there any things that I should check/replace?
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 10:27 pm

crank position sensor?
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeThu May 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Thanks Joe.

Can I just swap it out myself or will it need a dealer "relearn" from their scanner?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 7:45 am

this is hard for me to say because I am usually guilty of it but ...instead of throwing parts at it you might want to have the mechanic look at it. I agree that the CPS can cause it though. Just don't fall for the "throttle body is all gummed up and needs cleaned" line.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 8:09 am

Check fuel pressure those engines are very fussy on pressure the fuel pressure regulator fails often pull the vac and see if it has a leak most of the time fuel will come out the vac port if so replace it
Back to top Go down
connordanny
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
connordanny

Male

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 9:10 am

Thanks Chris - I'll check that out. So with the eng off I just pull the vac hose off the barb on the fuel pressure regulator and see what if anything comes out and if fuel does come out the regulator is bad?

Thanks
Dan
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 10:31 am

Yep if you have access to a gauge check the pressure i think they need 60 psi to start but it will run onn 55 psi
Back to top Go down
Eskimo
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
Eskimo

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeFri May 06, 2011 10:36 pm

Yeah, it sounds like a crank sensor to me too. a cam sensor will just cause longer cranking times, but a crank sensor will kill it.

low fuel pressure it would usually TRY to start, kinda sputter.. but if this is just crankcrankcrank, it's likely the sensor, which is located near the starter.
Back to top Go down
woaiwojia
Open/Open
Open/Open

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2011-05-27

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitimeFri May 27, 2011 5:29 am

hello
discount coach handbags
coach online store
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: 5.3 wont start sometimes   5.3 wont start sometimes Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

5.3 wont start sometimes
Page 1 of 1