Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

CTM's Are they worth the $

Go down 
+2
thinga'ma'rig
UPNOVER
6 posters
AuthorMessage
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

CTM's Are they worth the $ Empty
PostSubject: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 12:50 pm

I have been considering which u-joints to run in my front 44. Alot of talk on other forums not to run CTM's or Superjoints in 44's because it just starts to break other components. My 44 housing has been retubbed and trussed. I am currently running Warn outers, Dutchman inners, Arb and have Jantz joints now. The Jantz has been in there for sometime and even if I dont replace them now I want to have the next joints on hand when they do go.

Would you spend the $199 each for Ctm's?

I can get the Jantz for $110 each.

Thoughts?

CTM's Are they worth the $ Camnts10
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male
Number of posts : 972
Registration date : 2007-01-22

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 5:23 pm

i have the answer, check this ebay listing for 2- yukon super joints. yes it is for 2 of them. i have bought from this guy in the past with good remarks. this is what i have in my 44 front http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=012&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=220135785593&rd=1
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 7:22 pm

Thank you very much.. That is a buy and a half.. Everyone else wants $349 for what he is selling for $229...Great find....thanks again..I will now have my trail spares...

Nester, this guy has a mini spool for a 44 for $53...
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 8:31 pm

i thought you would like that, he has another auction that has them for 339.00 , he must throw them out there for that price occasionally . i bought 1 joint off of him last year for 99.00.you should definitely put him down as a favorite
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:06 pm

He is at the top of the favorite list..

Now since i saved the money I am trying to find spare axles. It would be very nice to have the whole setup in the back of the jeep ready to just throw in.

Thanks again for the info...
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:34 pm

"just starts to break other components"

I don't believe that is entirely true. I believe the CTMs don't have needle bearings that frequently go bad and eventually cause failure. I've never seen a ujoint fail in the middle, mostly just a rounded off end from the cap pressing out and then failing. as far as other parts failing yeah its gonna happen but you really have to think about how strong the other components are in relation to the u joints and plan on a weak link somewhere. a 1310 driveshaft is the weak link unless you have a full locker in front. if fully locked then the u joint is the best weak link.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 9:52 pm

Great post...I've been wondering about this for a while! I need a dana44 upgrade and there are many options. I like the warn route and of course superior but I think my mind is made for the randy's ring and pinion deal with superior shafts and super joints. Any input is appreciated. My question is Warn premium hub fuse or axle shaft or ujoint and in what order? I would assume in a good day a premuim hub fuse first but what if your ujoint first or shaft? The way I look at it is I would think ujoint before the hub, then hub, then shaft and no upgrade in ujoint wihtout a shaft upgrade.

p.s. ctms give me half a chub
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 10:08 pm

I am hoping for the hub fuse first.

I am currently on Premium hubs, Jantz joints, warn outers, dutchman inners and arb. So the cheapest and easiest fix is the hub fuse.

Thanks for reminding me.. I just replaced the hubs and forgot to pick up a spare fuse..

Von made up my mind when he found Yukon's for a great price. I cant see spending the extra money for the ctm's. If something other than the hub fuse is going to give I would rather it be a u joint and not an axle.

I feel comfortable that the parts I have will take as much abuse possible without going the next step and thats alot more $$$ and I dont see the need right now..Atleast in this rig...
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeSun Oct 28, 2007 10:45 pm

I went with longfields, because they are a good price and customer service is top notch. warrenty is no questions asked. this is also true with CTMs. I have heard a lot of people breaking the yukons and having a hard time getting them replaced. I am also running alloyUSA shafts because of their warrenty and customer service. For anybody planning on getting joints like these make sure you keep them greased because they will wear out 10x faster then a normal joint with the lack of bearings
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 12:24 am

Hmm...this brings me to that Pirate post that is linked in the "good tech info" thread or whatever it is in our tech section. Seems like a lot of guys are running Warns with super joints/ctms. I'm surprised about customer service issues with Yukons...i thought they were top notch. Good call on keeping them greased...I wouldn't have thought of that. At least you're good for something Matt. So when I upgrade my 44 what do you guys suggest and why? (this is happening within a month, i hope)
Back to top Go down
thinga'ma'rig
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
thinga'ma'rig

Male

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 8:02 am

the way i did it was i purchased one complete side at a time, i picked up my drivers side on ebay (new) 4340 axles inner and stub axle with the super joint for around 350-400.00. that was awhile ago though. then when i had more money i picked up the other complete side.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2007 5:08 pm

Thanks guys this will help with my Dana 44 in the YJ.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: CTM's Are they worth the $   CTM's Are they worth the $ Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

CTM's Are they worth the $
Page 1 of 1