Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?

Go down 
+3
Eskimo
MYYJROX
makitupthehardway
7 posters
AuthorMessage
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Empty
PostSubject: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:40 am

Yup I figured its something for everyone to chime in about and bring this place back to life.

I run a lockright in the front of my YJ. There are some times when I wish I could unlock the front, to help with turning and taking the load off the front. Is it worth it. I would guess no, not for the cost of the selectable lockers.
Back to top Go down
MYYJROX
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MYYJROX

Female
Number of posts : 738

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 10:23 am

I'll play. I say yes.
I like being able to turn them on and off when needed.
Back to top Go down
Eskimo
LS/Locker
LS/Locker
Eskimo

Male
Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2009-10-20

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 12:34 pm

My vote is, as long as you have the ability to go into 2 low in your t-case, then not really, for recreational wheeling.

When I disconnect the front output of the t-case, I can hear the front locker ratcheting and I don't feel that it's preventing me from turning. I also like the idea of hammer-down, it's locked. Let up and steer, it'll ratchet, then hammer down again and it's locked.

Sure beats the mandatory tattoo / window sticker "Are both my tires turning" with an ARB.. asdyuysigidfdjbisd
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 2:41 pm

Since you already have a locker i don't think its worth switching it out. unless you need to change the carrier or something. I am getting away from the arb. I haven't had a lot of issues but I don't think it was worth it.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 3:03 pm

There was a discussion of this for guys building the race rigs and they all seemed to favor a selectable rear. This logic is of course based on off road only but the idea is that you can point the front wheels in the direction they need to pull you and with the back unlocked it won't try and push you straight. May no be applicable to what you're asking but I thought it was an interesting discussion. I believe it was on the Rausch board if you want to look it up.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeWed Dec 29, 2010 5:31 pm

Locked_N_Loaded wrote:
There was a discussion of this for guys building the race rigs and they all seemed to favor a selectable rear. This logic is of course based on off road only but the idea is that you can point the front wheels in the direction they need to pull you and with the back unlocked it won't try and push you straight. May no be applicable to what you're asking but I thought it was an interesting discussion. I believe it was on the Rausch board if you want to look it up.

That is a very interesting angel to look at it. I would say that Rich hit the nail on the head for my type of wheeling at least. I have the 2wd low for both rigs I should just learn to use it more.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 30, 2010 11:47 am

Don't waste your money. Unlock the hubs for street. Look at the cost/benefit. How often do you wheel? selectable locker is a BIG expense. Would you buy $800 golf clubs if you only golf 2-3 times a year? Money is better spent somewhere else.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 31, 2010 1:27 am

Good point I dont wheel enough.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitimeSun Jan 02, 2011 12:47 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
Don't waste your money. Unlock the hubs for street. Look at the cost/benefit. How often do you wheel? selectable locker is a BIG expense. Would you buy $800 golf clubs if you only golf 2-3 times a year? Money is better spent somewhere else.

well said sir.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?   Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is a selectable locker in the front really worth it?
Page 1 of 1