Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Locker QUestion

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male
Number of posts : 297
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeSun Apr 01, 2007 11:44 pm

Found a cheap locker on eBay... but not sure how much work it will be to fix it...

Bidding starts at .01... no reserve...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dana-30-Detroit-Locker-3-73-NO-RESERVE_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33731QQitemZ320098828980QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Any suggestions?

Tony
Back to top Go down
http://photos.yahoo.com/prophoto26
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2007 1:49 pm

Hey Tony I have the same locker in the front on my jeep. I love it but its not very friendly. Its hard on your U-joints. I drove a little on the street once with the hubs still locked and its not that bad but you can tell its there. If you can get it cheap you could always fix it and sell it or keep it and save up the money to run locking hubs. Most people will tell you if you want to run the Dana 30 with a locker the best way to go is to buy a Super 30 kit. I didn't cause I got my parts cheap.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeMon Apr 02, 2007 5:31 pm

Tony unless you can set up the ring and pinion yourself. If I was paying somone to install a locker I would be sure it was a new one. I would get an Aussie locker it's about $250 and you can install it yourself and if you not happy with the street manders then you can remove it and put the spiders back in. When I broke my front axle and riped off teeth from the ring and pinion the locker took no damage. I here alot about the detroit locker breaking when you breake an axle on the front due to shock load. Just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
onemoretime
Admin
Admin
onemoretime

Male
Number of posts : 196
Registration date : 2007-01-18

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 9:23 am

Tony,
Both Nester and Paul are correct. For a true street friendly locker. A selectable one like ARB is the way to go. If you dont have selecto hubs. With a full locker you will notice different driving characteristics on the street.

Now that i was PC. Let me just say get slam it in and run Twisted Evil . Hell im running fully welded upfront now and i love it. Sucks in parking lots. But hey the noises scare other people away Twisted Evil. I notice no different handling above 10mph under that and it is a bear tho. Good luck in whatever you choose. Oh and make sure that the locker you get if it is a detriot is compatible to your RP if not you will have to change the frt RP n rr RP.

Enjoy
Back to top Go down
https://mrr4x4cforum.editboard.com
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeTue Apr 03, 2007 7:53 pm

well... i am going for it... I emailed the seller... it just needs the side gears... center looks fine, but he said I could replace it if I want. we will see if and when i get it.

Like nester said... worst case i fix it, run it, sell it if i don't like it.

It is a 27 spline so no new axles yet... and it is good for 3.73+ which I have 3.73 so I am good.

Maybe... just maybe... I can have it running before Big Dogs... We shall see.

I will know in 5 days when the auction is up. 9
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2007 3:18 pm

Good luck tony. now you need to keep a eye out for the locking hub kit. If you get the locker up front you will do great on the trails. Then unlock the hubs and does great on the street and might even help your gas milage
Back to top Go down
projblacknblue
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
projblacknblue

Male

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeSat Apr 07, 2007 7:34 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
Good luck tony. now you need to keep a eye out for the locking hub kit. If you get the locker up front you will do great on the trails. Then unlock the hubs and does great on the street and might even help your gas milage

Gas mileage? Phhhhhh.... Since I put the 33's on I get 250 on the odo before refilling... I was totally bummed (previously close to 400)... then Joe solved that mystery when I learned my speedo and odo are off from the size differance...

But its all good... I just look at it as less mileage on the odo so it is under warranty longer... mbn

I will keep my eye out for the hubs... if I get it that is... til then I suppose I can live with the chirps... haven't been able to do a decent tire squeal since my Duster anyways...
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitimeSun Apr 08, 2007 7:16 pm

Hey let me know if you get the locker. I'm might be able to come up and help. front locker is where its at. Once you have one in the front you will have a blast climbing everything. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Locker QUestion Empty
PostSubject: Re: Locker QUestion   Locker QUestion Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Locker QUestion
Page 1 of 1