Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Aussie Locker

Go down 
5 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 12:34 pm

I know the first response will be that lunch box lockers suck and I agree but cash does not allow for anything better yet.

I broke something in my rear aussie locker this weekend at RC on the Rock Garden. It is clicking and popping pretty good. I had the other one installed for me by a friend of a friend, so I did not learn how to fix, install. I will be buying a new locker soon, does anyone have experience with this that would be willing to help / teach so if when this happens again I will know more. It will probably be a couple of weeks till I have the cash for the replacement so it is no rush.
Back to top Go down
Allium
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Allium

Male
Number of posts : 244
Registration date : 2007-04-06

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 12:56 pm

Gimme a hollar when it happens - it is something i'd like to learn so I could give a stray hand
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438
Registration date : 2007-01-19

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 5:09 pm

Chris let me know when you want to work on it. I just installed two of them and uninstalled the one I had in my 30. Did you buy it new and if yes did the guy take the proper readings it has a two year warnety.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:05 pm

Yes I bought it new from Torq master, but I was reading the web site and it only seemed covered if it was not broken on the trail. I will call them in the morning and see what they say. And yes the guy that installed them is a gear man for big equipment and he set it up right, but like I said I was not watching...

thanks for the offer, I will definitly take you up on it.

here is what the Hub looked like

Aussie Locker DSCN0282

but the new tires flex well

Aussie Locker FSCN0285

Last edited by on Tue Jul 31, 2007 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 8:17 pm

I been there and done that. Thats why I carry a spare hub. Chris you might want to look in to swapping in a Dana 44 or a super 35 kit. Your luck with your Dana 35 is not good. Hold on what am I saying. NO ONES luck is good with a Dana 35 and Rich doesn't count. Hope you work it out with the locker.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2007 9:23 pm

I haven't really had bad luck with mine just one broken stock shaft, on the road. The super 35 held up, but it was only a matter of time, till something else went up. by the way i still have it and trying to unload it.
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 1:54 pm

Just thought running through my head but when the shaft blew out could the springs or pins in the locker have gotten messy and all I need to do is pull it and reset? I got off the gas as soon as I heard the bang but the tire would have still spun alittle and without the shaft in place.....
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 2:39 pm

Did you have a locker issue and break a hub at the same time?
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 4:23 pm

Yes after breaking the hub and getting out of the rock garden I noticed the locker popping.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 4:37 pm

Chris,
Take the inspection cover off the rear and look at things. I hate to say this but it could be the ring and pinon some teeth missing. I did not know you broke an axle until a later post. You should see all the springs and pins buy rotating the good axle around. Takes some pictures of the diff and post them or email them to me.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 4:44 pm

I did not break the shaft, just the hub flange on the Warn floater kit but the shaft was sticking out of the hub... I will try to get it apart this weekend and get some pictures.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 5:02 pm

Does this kit with the hub eliminate the C clip in the diff.? I thought that was the only thing that holds the axle form walking out.

When it was popping and clicking was it when you had you foot on the gas. They are design to slip when no pressure is applied to the axle
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 8:04 pm

mdcj7 wrote:
Does this kit with the hub eliminate the C clip in the diff.? I thought that was the only thing that holds the axle form walking out.

When it was popping and clicking was it when you had you foot on the gas. They are design to slip when no pressure is applied to the axle

Yes it eliminates the C clip and makes it a floater and you can pull out the axle shaft if the ub is not there.

Yes it was under power when it pops. My first guess is one of the splines in the locker is broken. I am emailing with Aussie now and they so far are bulking at coverage.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 9:00 pm

I would take it apart and check it out first. The locker could have issues locking and unlocking ( the clicking and popping sound) due to there not being any pressure from the other axle. When you remove the cover make sure you put a strainer under it. That way you can catch any broke or missing. You could have just snapped a spring while in he garden. Hope you had fun in the garden. I have seen it claim a ton of D35's and D30's
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeTue Jul 31, 2007 11:34 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
Hope you had fun in the garden. I have seen it claim a ton of D35's and D30's

Yeah it was a dumb move... and worse I was not driving... What else should I look for? Could I have bent a axle tube? If I did what do i look for?

Thanks for all the replys
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 6:21 pm

If you have a bent axle tube it would have to be really bad to notice. if you start blowing seals and feeling vibes that you dont normally have that could be the issue. When you drain the rear and strain it look for springs or pieces of metal. If you find pieces the size of teeth you have a ring and pinion problem and if you find a spring or a piece of one you have a locker issue. Did you get the hub ordered up?
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 9:00 pm

Just finished up the new tire carrier bumper so I could get it out of the living room and not 4 from my wife. I will take the diff cover off Sat and take a look at it. I am thinking a piece of window screen over the pan should do the trick to catch any pieces.

I found the hubs at Quadratec for 179 and 4wd did not even carry them any more. I will get them ordered when I fugure out the $$$
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2007 11:08 pm

screen should work perfect. Yeah I guess the price went up was that with shipping?
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 9:38 am

No, but if I order it through Adams Jeep the shipping in free.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 10:18 am

Whats adams mark up on parts like that?
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 12:03 pm

Zero they will sell it at the same price that Quadratec does but they get a discount on the order so they still make $$
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 6:41 pm

Make sure you look like to the club discounts. I would see if maybe Randy could help you out with that. I'm not sure if he sells warn products.
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeThu Aug 02, 2007 11:29 pm

Yeah I will look into it more when I am ready. My first call was to 4wd.com but they did not even sell it anymore...

a buddy that knows the owner of a tow / salvage / body shop (he gets all the stuff from wrecks on 95) is looking hard for axles that we can swap in. What would be the best / easiest to swap?
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 7:29 pm

mdcj7 wrote:
Chris let me know when you want to work on it. I just installed two of them and uninstalled the one I had in my 30. Did you buy it new and if yes did the guy take the proper readings it has a two year warnety.

Alright I finally got the cover off and the only damage I see is a broken pin and spring... Ring and pinion look good and the locker looks good. I am going to order the rebuild kit in the morning. Who can help and when, I am open just about anytime, after the part gets here. The jeep is at my Dads in Bel Air. I'll post some pics tommorow also.
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitimeMon Aug 06, 2007 8:32 pm

Chris Taylor wrote:
mdcj7 wrote:

Alright I finally got the cover off and the only damage I see is a broken pin and spring... Ring and pinion look good and the locker looks good. I am going to order the rebuild kit in the morning. Who can help and when, I am open just about anytime, after the part gets here. The jeep is at my Dads in Bel Air. I'll post some pics tommorow also.
Chris
I get off from work about 2:30 any night but Fri. Sat and Sunday are up it the air I got some welding to be done and depends when My son comes over to do it. Give me a call or pm when the parts comes in. Paul
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Aussie Locker Empty
PostSubject: Re: Aussie Locker   Aussie Locker Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Aussie Locker
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next