Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

The Resurection Project

Go down 
+21
S h a n e
MYYJROX
ffhill61
lt.dan
jealos-z
SPP YJ
mdcj7
SLeach
Locked_N_Loaded
4jeepnuts
The Devil Dog
projblacknblue
UPNOVER
rockdw72
thinga'ma'rig
connordanny
Grason
timberwolf
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
md4wheelin
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 24  Next
AuthorMessage
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243
Registration date : 2007-01-20

The Resurection Project - Page 8 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 6:21 pm

I would do a "B" hoop inside. then go though the roof to meet up with the exo

The Resurection Project - Page 8 DSC02710Medium

The Resurection Project - Page 8 DSC02832

his build thread is here he had a "cliff notes" build on pirate that had the first part but I can't find it.

http://jeepin.net/forum/showthread.php?t=48992
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male
Number of posts : 1875

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 9:21 pm

Locked_N_Loaded wrote:
Joe, why don't you just give it up and get a Wrangler?!?! Keep on cutting buddy, you're almost there fight
I wouldn't want to be like the rest of you asdyuysigidfdjbisd

hell the whole reason i'm worried about the exo cage is that I figured at some point you would have to spot me again jjjjjjjjjjj
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 10:52 pm

hmm I guess to make that cage work I'm going to have to mod my rock rails to something like this but longer to tie the exo cage in.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Alongweekend032
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Alongweekend033
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Alongweekend044

At this rate nick your right there's not going to be to much original metal left on the damn thing chainsaw
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 23, 2008 11:44 pm

yeah that is what he did.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 8:41 pm

Looks good Joe.

In the end all of us are going to have a rig that is almost nothing like what we originally started with. Some think its having that odd ball rig that makes yours original. Worth it if you trying to get on the cover of CRAWL or JP. In my own opinion I want to wheel the rig that was easy to build and does all I want. Joe my hat is off to you my friend your going farther than most of us would have gone with one ZJ yet two rigs and one for parts. Keep up the good work but hurry up and get a cage in that thing. Next time it might be me that spots you and puts that pig on its side. lol!
Back to top Go down
mdcj7
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
mdcj7

Male
Number of posts : 438

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:25 pm

looks good Joe.

I would of just cut the whole top off the one you rolled and went from there. You cut the back out of this one and you did not evern roll it yet.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 10:58 pm

thanks nester, I'm hoping to run it hard with you all this fall season. The goal is to try to make "bad Idea" not so bad of an idea. But for real you need to mark it on your calander to make it to Big Dogs this september.

Paul, this was the original plan for the first one. I could of just went the route of cutting the whole top off but I like the idea of having a windshield, roof and the remote possibilty of it being sort of street leagal. That and when it gets cold i can but the doors back on and put a tarp on the back to hold in the heat.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jun 24, 2008 11:20 pm

md4wheelin wrote:
But for real you need to mark it on your calander to make it to Big Dogs this september.

x2
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeFri Jun 27, 2008 11:47 pm

Okay trying to get this cage thing worked out. I'm trying to tie in the cage like vettboy did with his. I figured before I start cutting I better figure out if i'm on the right track. Let me see if I can explain this. The red in the pic is the 4x4 that i'm welding in as the rocker and the blue is the tube.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker
What i want to do is bring the tube down right next to the door hinges and recessed into unibody so it can meet up with the rocker. from the look of it there is going to be quite a bit of cutting and welding of the main unibody to get that tube down through there. So the question is should I go ahead and do this or will I be messing up the integrity of the body by trying to get that tube down through there.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 7:57 pm

fawk it ...unibodys are overrated anyway.
Back to top Go down
SPP YJ
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
SPP YJ

Male
Number of posts : 502
Registration date : 2008-04-09

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:27 pm

are you going with a inside cage or an exo cage. also in your pic is rocker "tubing " going to be tied to frame. just wanted to know how you are tying cage to frame.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 8:54 pm

my guess would be like this. but why 4x4 and not 2x4 for the extra 2" of clearance

The Resurection Project - Page 8 CIMG9973Medium
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 10:59 pm

How about this as a another way to get the tube down the A pillar and still keep the integrity of it. what if I took a larger pipe cut it in half and then used that in the notch to reinforce the A pillar. This way the exo cage and the A pillar are two seperate pieces. sort of how the notch the crossmembers to allow the front driveshaft to drop down.

Matt the reason for the 4x4 box is because the zj's are set up little different then the xjs. Xjs you can weld in the 2x2 box and not have any issues with clearing the B and C pillar. were on the zj if you go with the 2x4 you have to cut the B and c pillar to make it sit flush were as the 4x4 box you can just notch out the box around the B and C pillar.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSat Jun 28, 2008 11:13 pm

SPP YJ wrote:
are you going with a inside cage or an exo cage. also in your pic is rocker "tubing " going to be tied to frame. just wanted to know how you are tying cage to frame.

frame scratch what frame? As for the cage its going to be a limited exo with a partial cage inside. Basically enough exo to help in flops and mild roll overs and enough internal cage to keep me alive in a major roll over. As for tying the cage in the external part will be tied into the 4x4 box which in turn will be tied into the unibody via 3 2x2 box like the pic.

remember Bill real jeeps have unibodies spank
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeMon Jun 30, 2008 9:16 pm

Allright I began on the rockers today which is basicaly the first step in putting the cage in.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker1
I was worried about cutting the A pillar and loosing some strength but after I cut the rocker I found out the whole bottom part of it had rusted away. so I guess that solves that problem.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker2
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker3
Also got the base for the tube bender mounted. I drove four pieces of rebar into the dirt to keep the concrete from twisting in the ground.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Bender1
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Bender2
i'm hoping to have the rockers and rear floor installed by this weekend so next week i can start on the cage.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 01, 2008 3:54 pm

I love how you mounted the post for the tube bender in you front yard. I can't wait to see how it comes out.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 06, 2008 10:03 pm

Got some more done today on the rockers
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker11
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker12
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker13
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker14
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker16
had a rain storm today and relized I had to drill some holes in the floor for water.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rocker15
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 13, 2008 9:00 pm

first of all i must say that matt is the man king he gave me a hand sat. in getting the rear axel up to speed.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Rearoutagain
we cut 2" out of the spring mounts and welded the 8.8 carrier up plus got all the slop out of the 4 link.
Today I got the other rock slider on and worked on the floor.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Floor
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Floor4
got the templates ready to do the little cubby holes on the sides.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Floor2
got the front piece of metal cut for the storage boxes
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Floor3
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:15 pm

All right got the rest of the tool box and floor tacked in today.
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Floor5
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Floor4
Also started bending the tube for the rocker panels. Let me tell you the whole learning curve on bending this tube sucks.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 11:49 pm

Hey Bill just wondering if you had any tips or secrets on this whole tube bending thing?
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:02 am

md4wheelin wrote:
Hey Bill just wondering if you had any tips or secrets on this whole tube bending thing?

read the Pirate 4x4 tube bending article and then read it again. It worked well for me but I didn't have multi angle bends into different directions on the same tube so for me it was easy. I marked on the floor with chalk and bent just like the article suggested. Make sure you know where the bender begins the bend, with mine it actually started in the dye about 1/2 inch. From there make sure to bend a little less than what you need because there is no unbending but you can always bend it a little farther if needed. Also cut the notch on the tube end you are starting the bend from because the notch for the joint will take up some of the tubing and then the measures will be wrong and the bend will not be where you want it.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/bendin_tube/index.html
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:15 am

here is a good one for notching
http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=449754&highlight=notching
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 11:24 am

good threads, thanks for the heads up.

Ps. By the time this cage is done I should look like the incredible hulk queen
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 12:09 pm

I didn't use a cheater bar and it took all my body weight to tug repeatedly to get the tube to bend. Do it smart and use a nice long cheater bar and get someone to keep an eye on the angle measurements. I bought a digital angle finder from lowes which was quite helpful. Start with the easy bends first to get used to your machine.
Back to top Go down
md4wheelin
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
md4wheelin

Male

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2008 9:33 pm

bent the tube for the sliders today
The Resurection Project - Page 8 Finishedslider

ps. bending tube sucks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Resurection Project   The Resurection Project - Page 8 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Resurection Project
Page 8 of 24Go to page : Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 16 ... 24  Next