Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

driveline questions

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

driveline questions Empty
PostSubject: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 1:53 pm

Ok so from what I've been reading the 700R4 I am currently running is in need of a rebuild. I'm considering just replacing it with a modified TH350 instead. Also going sell my front axle in favor of a Chevy front axle that is almost identical to my current axle except running a full detroit instead of that sucky ARB. So now the question is what tcase to run. Immediately I think NP205. I believe the 70's 205 came behind the 350 and has the racetrack pattern to the mounting bolts and will bolt right up. Is it going to hang way down? can it be clocked up? Alternative? Keep in mind I am going to stretch the rear about 8" and the front about 4" and link both ends. also will raise the motor as high as possible to move the driveline up.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

Number of posts : 267
Registration date : 2009-01-22

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 16, 2009 4:55 pm

The TH350 to 205 would be the strongest but also the heavist lighter is faster A np208 is pretty damn strong you can get in drivers side drop to keep the highpinion for better driveshaft angle
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2009 7:44 pm

any suggestions for a good transmission retailer/builder? LOTS of fluff out there when trying to find a dependable dealer to sell a good tranny.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 12:30 pm

There is a couple of pretty good guys up here but thats a good haul I think you can buy a B&M or Fairbanks from summit or Jegs for under 2000$ You will Probably spend a 1000 to 1500 to have one built plus buying the trans so new might be the way to go
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:01 pm

only one at jegs and summit was the tci version. What about monster transmission? I think I want full manual valve body for engine braking and a full lockup converter. comments?
http://racetransmissions.com/store/product_info.php/cPath/1_25_56_112/products_id/199
Back to top Go down
jealos-z
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
jealos-z

Male
Number of posts : 604
Emploi : Mechanic
Registration date : 2007-09-17

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2009 9:07 pm

Bill if you want let me talk to the one guy up here SABO they are awesome jus let me know what trans you want to go with and I will stop Friday and talk to them
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 8:19 am

Rob is right about sabo i think prices are fair he did the trans in my buddies turbo car it went a 9.43 sunday at the track
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 9:30 am

Ok that would be greatly appreciated. From what I've read I do need the full manual valve body and full lockup converter? Don't want slippage due to heat and i want the engine compression braking feature. I don't need speedometer and I think if i go full manual valve body I don't need the TV cable. My 454 is likely to be upgraded to no more than 500hp. All of that information is from what I've read online so i need to figure if that is true. I do want to keep the 700r4. Let me know what you find out and thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

Number of posts : 121
Registration date : 2009-04-05

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 10:25 am

The 700R4 and big power don’t mix. You can make them last but you are going to be putting out some serious coin. If you are spending the money why not just do a TH400 and be done with it? They are about 3-4” longer than the 350 so if you are tight on space that is there only down fall.

I’ve got a TH350, full manual valve body with the engine brake. I would have liked it in a reverse shift pattern but I could not find a valve body with all three features. Heat is the main enemy of the manual valve bodies. Get as big a cooler as possible and its one electric fan on a thermal switch and a deep pan. If you are planning on pushing big power to it, especially in an off-road application where power is on/off/on/off, do yourself a favor and make damn sure you have a steel drum in it. I’ve personally seen the aftermath of 4 cast drums that came apart. I’m going to put a scatter shield on mine when I do the supercharger.

The best way to tune to a stall converter is on the dyno. You will probably not get it right on the first shot. After the supercharger I will undoubtedly be changing my converter again to keep it locked at peak torque.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 12:43 pm

what is the benefit of the reverse shift pattern? Where did you get your tranny? OK so TH400 is most likely to live behind the BB so I'll start researching there some more. I will have plenty of room with the stretch it will have.
Back to top Go down
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:07 pm

The 400 will defiantly hold up to the big block much longer. If you have the room and are spending the money go with the 400.

The benefit to the reverse shift pattern is when you use a ratchet shifter like a B&M or gate shifter like and Art Carr you pull back on the lever to go up in gears. When racing it’s a much more natural feeling when you slam backward on the shifter, go up a gear, the vehicle lurches forward and throws you back into your seat. The biggest benefit is that when you are in 3rd you are at the bottom of the shifter and have no way of bumping the lever again, hitting neutral and over revving or bumping the lever missing neutral all together and hitting reverse. Park, reverse, second and neutral stay in the original positions; first and third are reversed.

My brother and I built my tranny.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 1:22 pm

the th400 is the strongest but they are getting harder to find they a larger output shaft than the th350 & 700r4 so you need a transfer case for a th400 or i believe they make a shaft conversion they also have a higher first gear not always a benefit for what your doing
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 2:22 pm

plan is to have an atlas built for whatever i decide to put in there so tcase is not an issue. TH400 sounds like the right choice then. time to do more searching.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 6:30 pm

I have a short shaft th400 out of my dualie its 2wd you can have it it needs rebuilt if use a atlas i believe they will sell you everything to fit it let me know i will bring it RC next weekend
Back to top Go down
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2009 6:54 pm

MonsterS10 wrote:
I have a short shaft th400 out of my dualie its 2wd you can have it it needs rebuilt if use a atlas i believe they will sell you everything to fit it let me know i will bring it RC next weekend

Damn first you say they are hard to find; now you are flush with them and giving them away like candy. I want some candy. You wouldn't happen to have some extra dually doors stuffed with money that you are giving away too?

If I get my 3 speed Stak I may have an 4.3 2 speed Atlas for sale. Sorry I'm a nice guy but not nearly as nice as Chris.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 8:36 am

It's needs rebuilt & it's 2wd version the 4wd version are alot harder too find thats why i still have two wheel drive in the dualie with a devorced transfer case the stock adapters are impossible to find around here since he's running a atlas they should be able to adapt it pretty easy
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 2:41 pm

Hunt wrote:
MonsterS10 wrote:

Damn first you say they are hard to find; now you are flush with them and giving them away like candy. I want some candy. You wouldn't happen to have some extra dually doors stuffed with money that you are giving away too?

If I get my 3 speed Stak I may have an 4.3 2 speed Atlas for sale. Sorry I'm a nice guy but not nearly as nice as Chris.

How soon are you looking to upgrade to a stak and is the atlas set up for the TH400?
Back to top Go down
Hunt
Locker/Locker
Locker/Locker
Hunt

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2009 9:40 pm

I'm waiting on the guy with the Stak. I'll let you know more when I know more.
Back to top Go down
MonsterS10
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
MonsterS10

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2009 2:09 pm

Since your worked up about the th400 i'll trade for the atlas lol! lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: driveline questions   driveline questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

driveline questions
Page 1 of 1