Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

How would you build it?

Go down 
+2
makitupthehardway
Rockn93YJ
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

How would you build it? Empty
PostSubject: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 9:36 am

I am looking for a new project vehicle. I have a wrecked vehicle with LS1 + tranny, all wires/pcu complete. I'm looking to install this in a jeep as the foundation of my on/off road vehicle. Just in the planning stages now so if anyone has any words of advice then now is the time to speak up. the plan is to build a vehicle that would be just as road worthy as it is off road capable. Drive longer trips like skyline drive and be able to negotiate black trails. not determined yet is suspension setup, jeep year to build, axles, transfer case etc. I plan on running 35" mud terrains, probably Trxus.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 1:38 pm

First Start with a old Yj or CJ. Yj's are easy to find still clean and have the Fully boxed frame that many CJ's dont have. Then you won't need emissions for tags get some classic tags and you head ache free. You have your motor and trans so your set there. Next I would say go with a Dana 300 (parts are cheap and easy to flip if needed). Axles would be the next step I would say if it is going to be a trail street jeep you might not want to go with 60's cause of the weight and custom High 9's aren't cheap unless you have the money. But for a rig that just wants Blacks and street use the Dana 44 and Ford 8.8 setup would work just fine with 35-36'inch tires. I would say leave to stock high pinion dana 30 but who builds a jeep with a LS1 and leaves the Dana 30 scratch For springs I would say go with Leaf springs there again cause there cheap and easy to setup. Once the rig is built and running then you can play with 4 or 3 link setups. Oh and leave it SUA so its street friendly
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 05, 2007 2:23 pm

Yeah, would have to be YJ since they have the galvanized? frame since 1988 and better rust prevention. SUA will work at first but no Dana 30 or 35.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeSat Oct 06, 2007 10:22 am

OK so LS1 with tranny, NP 205 or Dana 300, Dana 60 front and rear (I want to run mud with 35" tires and high HP), spring under suspension. Dave Leasue let me know if you can build this. I'd provide the entire camaro with the LSI/tranny/pcm/wiring etc and the jeep. If you can do the motor/tranny swap and get the thing running then I can do the drivetrain/axles/suspension etc. This think will rock. mbn
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 11:51 am

Build a buggy. I was riding in one this weekend that had a V8 and a Dana 300. lk so much fun.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 12:12 pm

makitupthehardway wrote:
Build a buggy. I was riding in one this weekend that had a V8 and a Dana 300. lk so much fun.

I agree ... If you are keeping your current setup, why another jeep? I wish I could of kept my buggy and got the xj.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 7:40 pm

now you done it...got me thinkin again. buggy huh. I think I like that idea. got to consider what I want to do with it. buggy if geared right can do mud bogs but would have to be unlimited class and have to run 2 sec in 100' to be competitive. cant take it on the road. got a lot to think about now.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: re   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeMon Oct 08, 2007 8:50 pm

While you are thinking check out the buggy my buddy is building. He is running rockwells which I think is overkill but the tubing work is very nice. The guy that did the chassis is doing quite a few that can be seen on the same website.

http://www.nc4x4.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28175&page=8

The chassis can be done cheaper than you think...

My next one will be this chassis with 60's, 39 Krawlers, stak and powered by a Northstar and a 400

There are quite a few bar chassis for sale right now if you want a two seater.
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 8:25 pm

OK I think I will think on this some more, at least I think so.... I'm no leaning towards just dropping the LSI and auto tranny into my current jeep. It will be a lot of trouble but worth it in the end. gotta think on that though.
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 9:11 pm

What about emissions?
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male
Number of posts : 1243

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeWed Oct 10, 2007 11:06 pm

cj clip...?
Back to top Go down
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 8:22 am

Yeah Bill and I where thinking about that but with bills pace it wont be street legal either way by the time the next two years pass maybe we will see. Bill always has great ideas. 9
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 8:27 am

Its just going to suck cause if you do it it I'm not far behind with it. There is just something about a jeep with a powerful V8. I might save the small block for the buggy.
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 9:11 am

what are you gonna do with the stroker Exclamation
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 9:19 am

lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 11:40 am

The more I think about this the more the build plan looks like my current jeep. I'm going to swap it into my current jeep. it is a 93, just passed the emissions for the first time this past summer so in 2009 it will be tested again. Emissions has a wavier if you don't pass but you gotta spend some money to fix it. not an issue at this point. The stroker has about 35k miles on it and ax-15 has 130k miles on it and both will likely be sold. Youre right nester theres nothing like a jeep with small block power. I'd hate to build a buggy with v8 power and not be able to drive it on the street. there is a guy on Rte 9 between Charlestown WV and Martinsburg WV I've heard a lot about and does v8 conversions all the time. he sells them for like 18K. I'll see what he will charge to do teh swap and check with a couple friends. I've got time so the critical planning stage can be thought out carefully. I already know the long output shaft of the tranny needs changed since it is coming from a 2wd vehicle and swapped for the short one. this will happen hopefully in the next 6-9 months.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeThu Oct 11, 2007 4:35 pm

I would get it retested right before you get this done. Then just keep the paper work so it will buy you some time but that thing can get classic tags till 2013 and your good till 2009 thats four years but who knows what Elva will be driving in the next year with all the Unlimited talk I heard from you guys over the summer. But thats cool you cut the path and figure the ins and outs for me cheers I will do a motor swap in a couple of years unless I step it up and build this buggy that I continue to day dream about.
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male
Number of posts : 1783
Registration date : 2007-02-09

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 12:20 am

Matt, we're gonna have to fight for that stroker fight
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 9:10 am

you won't
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 9:14 am

I say you have a drinking contest king 7 first one to the empty case of beer gets to buy the motor. That way we can all laugh and your stumbling around and the massive head aches you will have in the morning. queen lol!
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 9:16 am

Or the first one to shotgun a 12 pack. 9 9

or good old fashion beer pong. 8
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 10:56 am

Actually the only thing i'm better at than screwing up is drinking so you're in some trouble matt king
Back to top Go down
rockdw72
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
rockdw72

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 1:44 pm

yeah I'm a light wieght so you will beat me. plus you already put dibs on it at big dogs. but that doesn't mean we cant drink and make dumb asses of ourselves for the hell of it
Back to top Go down
Locked_N_Loaded
Admin
Admin
Locked_N_Loaded

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:02 pm

lol! Sounds like a deal!!
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitimeFri Oct 12, 2007 2:59 pm

The LS1 fell through. He decided to rebuild the camaro. this gives me some time to find the right donor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How would you build it?   How would you build it? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How would you build it?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next