Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchRegisterLatest imagesLog in

Probably a dumb question but...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

Probably a dumb question but... Empty
PostSubject: Probably a dumb question but...   Probably a dumb question but... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 10:38 am

I have a friend in Il that found a treasure shed of D44 and D60's. I know I can get a set of matching gear 44's from him at next to nothing, but if I could get a set 60's..... would it be over kill. It (for at least another year) is a daily driver and off roader so I would not want to kill the gas mileage too bad. I would not mind getting a little bigger in the future with tires but would not go over a 37" I am running 35" now. He will set them up with whatever gears I want. My mind says to get the D44's and be happy with them but the devil on my shoulder says D60.

What do you all think?
Back to top Go down
UPNOVER
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
UPNOVER

Male
Number of posts : 856
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Probably a dumb question but...   Probably a dumb question but... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 11:45 am

There is no such thing as overkill when it comes to axles. 44's can be made very strong with trussing and the right components.. but then again if you can get 60's and start out the right way first "Why not"..

What are both set of housings out of? The 60's will have to be cut down to work in the tj. What are the 44's out of? If they are from a waggy then you are set.

First find out the make of vehicle.. then
do some research on exactly what components you want..
then do your pro's and con's..

If you are going to definitely continue to wheel this tj for a long period of time then the 60's are the way to go if you can afford the setup prices..

Just my $.02
Back to top Go down
Chris Taylor
Locker/Spool
Locker/Spool
Chris Taylor

Male
Number of posts : 359
Registration date : 2007-02-07

PostSubject: Re: Probably a dumb question but...   Probably a dumb question but... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:14 pm

He's not sure but he is has the ability to cut them down and he will also weld on the brackets and make it a bolt on process. ( I know that it is never that easy). I am sending him measurements today. He also has a friend in trucking that wii get them to MD / Pa at a very low cost. mbn
Back to top Go down
Rockn93YJ
Rockn93YJ

Male
Number of posts : 3671
Registration date : 2007-01-20

PostSubject: Re: Probably a dumb question but...   Probably a dumb question but... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 12:31 pm

44's are good for mixed rig of wheeling and street use and should hold up well for what you do. once you go to 60's my opinion is you shoudl go wider than stock and run tires in the 37-39" range. For a daily driver I'd go 44" front and 60 rear. Now having said that I'd go 60's front and rear myself. Get them built now and hold onto them for when you are ready to put them in.
Back to top Go down
makitupthehardway
makitupthehardway

Male
Number of posts : 2558
Registration date : 2007-01-19

PostSubject: Re: Probably a dumb question but...   Probably a dumb question but... Icon_minitimeFri Nov 09, 2007 5:33 pm

Rockn93YJ wrote:
44's are good for mixed rig of wheeling and street use and should hold up well for what you do. once you go to 60's my opinion is you shoudl go wider than stock and run tires in the 37-39" range. For a daily driver I'd go 44" front and 60 rear. Now having said that I'd go 60's front and rear myself. Get them built now and hold onto them for when you are ready to put them in.

X2

But I have seen Jeeps on Dana 60's that street nice its just alot of wieght and you will want to get at least 4:88 gears for 37's or bigger.

Just my .02 cents.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Probably a dumb question but...   Probably a dumb question but... Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Probably a dumb question but...
Page 1 of 1